If you think that your windows need an upgrade, you should spend time choosing the right replacement windows. Remember that with the right replacement windows, you will notice a decrease in energy consumption and an increase in savings in the long run.
If it is your first time to choose replacement windows, you should consider the following tips:
Pick a frame material
You can choose between vinyl and wood frame material. However, if you want the easiest material to maintain, you should consider vinyl frames. You must know that vinyl material is resistant to termite damage. Aside from that, it will not peel or warp. The best part about vinyl frames is they are highly customisable.
Focus on the glass package
Since you are after saving energy, you should focus on the glass package that will give you the best result. Here are some glass packages you can consider:
- Dual or triple pane glass: dual or triple pane glasses include airspace in the middle. In the end, it provides increased energy savings as well as additional sound-blocking capabilities.
- Low-e glazing: this glass package can reduce heat transfer in your home. In the summer, it will reflect the sunlight back outside. In the winter, it will allow the sunlight to stream through the glass, which can keep your home warm.
- Krypton gas: this gas is filled between the panes. In fact, it is considered one of the best choices for energy efficient replacement windows.
Work with professional window installers
Keep in mind that window installation is meant to be handled by professionals. There are many companies you can consider but it can make things confusing for a first-timer. So, when evaluating the companies, here are the factors to help you narrow down your options:
- Experience: you will be at peace knowing that the company has long years of experience. With this, you need to check their years in the business. Their longevity will speak of how they manage their business and how they deal with customers.
- Reputation: aside from experience, you should also check the reputation. In this Internet age, you can easily find everything that describes the company through reviews. You can even join community discussions. At the end of the day, your goal here is to check whether or not other customers are satisfied with the company’s services.
- Price: the price will determine your decision. However, you should not always look for the cheapest one. If you want your windows to last a long time, you should look into the quality of the materials used and the skills of the installers. With this, you need to get quotes sent to you in writing so you can compare the prices and read the small print.
- Insurance: before you sign any contracts or agreements, it is important that you ask to see the company’s insurance details. As a homeowner, you should always stay on the safe side. If the company is hesitant to give proof, it should raise a red flag.
Consider custom replacement windows
While buying pre-made windows sounds convenient, you will get the best results if you consider custom replacement windows. If you choose to install pre-made windows, even the smallest misalignment or wrong measurement can result in significant energy loss.